7.03.2010

Book Review: Making Books that Fly, Fold, Wrap, Hide, Pop Up, Twist and Turn ~ by Gwen Diehn

 Book Review:  Making Books that Fly, Fold, Wrap, Hide, Pop Up, Twist and Turn ~ by Gwen Diehn

Even though I found this book in the youth section of the library I'd highly recommend it for beginner book makers.  It gives a number of simple tutorials but in the main aspects of "real" bookmaking - various types of bindings, articulated pages, end papers, inserts, board covers and much more.  The many illustrations and interesting historical anecdotes made this book much easier and interesting to follow than the other "adult" bookbinding manuals I've browsed.  I only made a few of the types of books today but I plan to borrow this book again to make the rest of them!  Gwen Diehn has also written a number of other art-book publications that I'll try once I've got the basics down including The Decorated Page, The Decorated Journal, and Live & Learn: Real Life Journals

No comments:

Post a Comment