3.06.2012

Lucy Woodward with Snarky Puppy at the Rex



I love the Rex, a jazz & blues bar on Queen St W, Toronto where my ex used to work in the kitchen and play regularly, and my brother now bartends.  Its the sort of humble but tradition-steeped place where famous musicians and their proteges turn up to jam with open mic first timers and sit at long bench style tables elbow-to-elbow with Queen St. tourists and city regulars.

One of my most vivid memories from living in Toronto is getting a call at almost 2am that Wynton Marsalis had wandered into the Rex after performing at Massey Hall with the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra, was jamming and I could I get down there with my camera asap please (see picture to left) 

Its one of the places and experiences I miss most not living in the city, so I live vicariously through my brother's twitter @RexHotelToronto.  This video of Lucy Woodward joining Snarky Puppy on stage is the essence of the Rex, and just too good to pass up posting... Enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment