1.29.2012

Apple Cider Vinegar Sugar Scrub


I got this absolutely fabulous recipe for a facial scrub from Bee Vintage Honey, that uses apple cider vinegar to balance the skin's pH and green tea to detoxify.  Both main ingredients are packed with vitamins, alpha hydroxy & amino acids which repair + renew skin while softening and controlling blemishes.  Lemon juice naturally lightens blemish marks and granular sugar exfoliates the skin, while honey, a natural humectant, provides moisture and acts as an antiseptic.As an added step to the original recipe, I often add some chopped rosemary from a plant that I'm growing in a window.  Rosemary tones and firms the skin by reducing puffiness and swelling.  The herb is an astringent, helping to reduce excess oil in skin, it also increases blood flow which improves the complexion, allowing nutrients to effectively reach the skin while removing waste products and toxins.  I'm also told, the disinfectant and antibiotic properties of rosemary is one of the reasons I find it effective on my acne.  The original recipe only calls for regular green tea, but I use a superfruit green tea that also contains apple pieces, rosehips, acai berry, goji berry, blueberries and pommegranate and, along with the rosemary, makes the scrub smell wonderful!

Apple Cider Vinegar Sugar Scrub
(for acne marks & blemishes)
1
Add one teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar (DO NOT use regular vinegar) in a small or medium bowl.

2
Add two teaspoons of already made and cooled organic green tea to the apple cider vinegar.    Squeeze a few fresh lemon slices, and grate their zest into the bowl.  This is the point where I sometimes add a small handful of chopped rosemary.

3
Mix, add five teaspoons of sugar, mix again.  I use a granular sugar for a coarser scrub, but you could use fine sugar for a more delicate scrub.

4
Add one teaspoon of organic honey, then add two more teaspoons of sugar. Mix well.


Use your fingers to spread the mask on your face gently. Apply and gently exfoliate by rubbing in a circular motion. Do this for two to five minutes. Do not scrub hard. Let mask stay on face for about eight to ten minutes.  Exfoliate gently while rinsing off. Store any unused mixture in a small glass jar with screw top. Label it so no one will eat it! (eww yuck!) and refrigerate, use within 2 weeks.


Then, as Bee Vintage Honey's original post suggested: I use the apple cider vinegar as a toner.  I usually dilute it with water and wipe all over my face with a soft cloth but occasionally I do use it straight, usually on a cotton ball or wipe.  I find it really does a great job of evening my skin tone, its not so red and blotchy anymore :)

No comments:

Post a Comment