2.01.2012

My daydreams came to life today


 
 



No, the image on the left isn't ‪repinned from my ever growing  image collection of whimsical conservatories (right)‬  I took it this afternoon, at the Niagara Parks Floral Showhouse in Niagara Falls.

My interiorscape class had an interesting tour around the Showhouse Greenhouse itself, as well as behind the scenes in the propagation and collection area.  I can't even begin to list the many exotic species we saw today from orchids to succulents, tropicals and even trees.  Entering into the first part of the permanent collection which included many full grown trees housed under a tall, modern square greenhouse structure was interesting and the turtles were cute.  But walking further into the connected houses I fell in love with the older greenhouses.  There's a smell, a worn-ness, an inherent well used quality to this space that I seek for the same reasons I walk through old churches, and work in science labs from previous decades.  I absolutely adore this set of interconnected, low glass houses.  It makes you wonder what wondrous plants have been grown here, in a bygone era and what other people have ducked into the overgrown space to view them.

One side is a more formally planted glass house, with seasonally changing displays that remind me of Victorian English conservatories.  The other side speaks of even older Orangeries with its small citrus trees flowering and fruiting pressed up against the fogged windows.  It was a perfect day to visit this damp, warm, living space: cold and wet outside so the escape seemed more reward, less instructional and the low, filtered light makes the flowers more vivid.


TOMORROW'S POST WILL BE A BIG LONG PICTURE POST FROM TODAY, STAY TUNED! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment